This post gives information on how to quit drinking on your own forever. Are you fed up of drinking? Then we can help. I had a same problem year back and I have overcome the bad habit of drinking alcohol.
The sad part is that when we are drinking, we are always thinking that it gives us happiness. But it is an illusion and it is like a never ending trap.
If you are a person who just likes to have a pint of beer or two, then this post is not for you. However, if you are the person who can’t stop after he or she starts drinking, then this post is for you.
If you are on your own and want to quit drinking, then this post will be helpful to you. There are two times when people think of quitting drinking. Once when something wrong doesn’t happen in your life but you realize you are heading for trouble. This is the right time to stop. Stop drinking before you experience a disaster and you are forced to quit drinking.
The other time is when you hit rock bottom and you feel what you are doing with your life.
You can quit drinking on your own. It is difficult but it is not impossible. There are many support groups out there who can help you to quit. I don’t frown on those support groups. In fact, lot of people have changed their lives with these support groups. So they are doing a good job. Having said that, I would also like to say that you can quit drinking on your own, if you make up your mind. This means without a Support Group.
The first thing that you have to do when you want to quit drinking on your own is to commit to yourself that you will quit drinking no matter what happens! It is also good to take help of your family when you decide to quit drinking. When you tell your family members that you want to quit, they will be happy and they will give all the support that you need.
So this is how to quit drinking alcohol on your own
- Make a goal and commitment that you don’t want to drink. Make some strong emotional reasons of not drinking. You have to give yourself reasons of not drinking. It always good to visualize the positive benefits when you have decided to quit drinking. Whenever you feel like drinking, it always helps to think of the reasons why you should quit.
- If you are an alcoholic, then I would like to tell you one thing that cutting back completely might be difficult for you. Make small goals. Cut down your frequency of drinking alcohol. If you drink every day, work on drinking every alternate day or perhaps 2 to 3 times a week. After that, you can cut back further until you don’t drink again. This approach won’t help if you have developed a medical condition. You might have to go cold turkey and stop drinking immediately. When you do this, you might experience lot of withdrawal symptoms. If you experience major withdrawal symptoms like anxiety, hallucination, fever etc, please consult a doctor.
- Avoid hanging out with people with whom you tend to drink. People who force you to drink are not the right company. It is good to not go to places where you will be tempted to drink.
- Most of the times we drink when we are stressed. Find triggers that motivate you to drink. Are you living a stressful life? If you are living a stressful life, then you have to do some kind of stress management by doing meditation. There are many videos on YouTube, which will teach you meditation. Doing meditation will help you to reduce stress in your life.
- You will also know how to control you cravings instead of your cravings controlling you. Whenever you get a craving, instead of acting and going for a drink, you should be aware of that craving, and not respond to it. Don’t try to remove it from your brain. Just be aware that it is there and accept it. But just don’t act on that craving. These cravings will be strong in the beginning but they will become less over time. You won’t get strong cravings after you are off alcohol for some time.
- Alcoholism is a disease and it is also a bad habit. Some people say that it takes around 21 days to break a bad habit. That can be true. In my experience, it can take more time when you are an alcoholic. Cravings can last for more than one month.
- Take baby steps. Don’t think about quitting alcohol for life. Think about not drinking alcohol TODAY. Your goal is not to drink alcohol today. Do it every day. Soon that one day will become a week; weeks will turn into a month. A month will turn into years. Thinking about not drinking alcohol forever can be an overwhelming thought for you. So think that your goal is to not drink alcohol today.
- Invest in a good course like Alcohol Free Forever. This course helps you stay sober for rest of your life from your home. This course has helped me and many alcoholics like me.
It is step by system that you have to follow to stop drinking alcohol. It includes main guide which gives details on how to quit drinking. There is also an email series in which you will receive advice for 35 days. This will give you details of what you have to do for 35 days. As I said that for an alcoholic, it can take more than 21 days to break the alcohol habit. With this 35 day email series, you will know what you have to do and you will have support system right in your inbox. So if you really want to make positive changes in your life and make your family members smile, I would suggest investing in this awesome course called Alcohol Free Forever. Click on the banner in this post to get it.